10 November 2021: In January 2014 the NFTS launched the Factual Development and Production Diploma in partnership with Discovery Networks International to find the next generation of factual TV producers.
The part-time blended learning course explores how mainstream factual programmes are developed, commissioned and produced and aims to give students the know-how and confidence to develop and pitch ideas for factual series.
For the past eight years, the Diploma has been led by Simon Broadley, who has more than 25 years experience in broadcast television and features a cast of high profile industry professionals, including commissioners from all the key broadcasters.
At the end of the 12-month course, students pitch an idea to a Discovery commissioner, with one show securing £5,000 for further development with the support of a Discovery Executive Producer.
Discovery also provides scholarship funding, which make it possible to discount fees for those students that need assistance. The course has an enviable record of graduate employment and since 2014, more than 50 students have benefitted from the scholarship scheme, going on to work for a wide range of leading companies in diverse roles, with some co-founding their own businesses.
A snapshot of the roles graduates have landed in the industry upon graduating are listed below:
- Development Producer with HiddenLight Productions
- Producer at Passion Pictures
- Edit Producer at Raw TV
- Creative Development Producer at Global
- Assistant Producer at Ricochet
- Creative Director at Nuwave Pictures
- Senior Programme Planner at Little Dot Studios
- Development Executive at Voltage
- Development Producer at Kalel Productions
- Casting Researcher at Ricochet
- Assistant Producer at MultiStorey Media
- Campaign Producer at the IET
- Researcher at Curve Media
- Assistant Curator at the BFI
- Development Researcher at Pulse Films
- Creative Director at Alamo Pictures
The diploma is a 12 month blended learning course, delivered from the NFTS hubs in London and Cardiff but available to students across the UK and features a stimulating combination of weekly online sessions and day-long in-person workshops at intervals throughout the year (including a two day camera course).
Applications are still open for the NFTS Factual Development and Production Diploma for a January 2022 start.
Find out more about this incredible diploma at our upcoming event!
NFTS Information Evening @Golden Square, London (for courses still open for 2022)
Tuesday 16 November | 18:00 to 20:00
The NFTS hub in Golden Square is open to the public for the first time!
This event is for people interested in the following courses, based in London, which are still open for January 2022 entry:
- Registration/drinks between 6-6:30pm
- Welcome and introduction to the NFTS 6:30pm
- Meet the Tutors and see the facilities until 8pm
This Information Evening is a great way to find out more about these courses and ask any questions you may have.
Book your place now!
More content you may be interested in...