NFTS Scotland: The Film Marketing Series Online
Duration 5 evenings
Course dates Register your interest
Application deadline Register your interest
Delivered in the NFTS Scotland Virtual Classroom, accessed via Zoom.
The world and how audiences watch films is changing.
Are you interested in a career in film marketing? Or do you need to connect your film to audiences?
Delivered by experienced experts working in the industry right now, this practical, how-to course introduces you to the key considerations in marketing a film. By the end of the series of 5 sessions, you will understand the process and what you need to be doing to give your film, or your career, the best chance of success.
- A series of 5 sessions delivered online on Wednesday evenings in March 2021
- A practical, hands on course providing an introduction to film marketing in the UK
- Aimed at participants currently working on film projects or looking to get into film marketing as a career, and filmmakers looking to distribute and market their own films or broaden their understanding in these areas
- Delivered by Deborah Rowland, NFTS Head of Marketing, Distribution, Sales and Exhibition, with lead tutors from the MA course
1. Context – The relationship between film distribution and marketing - Wednesday 3rd March 2021 (18.30 - 20.30)
Delivered by Debbie Rowland - An introduction to the film distribution landscape and the process for releasing a film in today’s market
2. Planning The Campaign - Wednesday 10th March 2021 (18.30 - 20.30)
Delivered by Debbie Rowland - The key steps in planning, positioning and connecting to the audience for your film.
3. The Power of Publicity - Wednesday 17th March (18.30 - 20.30)
Delivered by Jon Rushton - How to use publicity, events and festivals effectively to launch and promote your film
4. Harnessing the Networks - Wednesday 24th March (18.30 - 20.30)
Delivered by Jo Taylor - How to plan and implement successful social media and grass roots marketing campaigns for your film
5. The Heart of a Campaign - Wednesday 31st March (18.30 - 20.30)
Delivered by David Coultas - Factors to consider in creating the most important elements of any film campaign – the poster and trailer
Deborah Rowland has over 28 years’ experience in marketing; theatrical, home entertainment & VOD distribution; international sales; TV; and exhibition. She has held senior marketing and distribution positions across the industry including: Koch Media, Artificial Eye, Curzon Cinemas, Twentieth Century Fox, Disney, Icon Film Distribution, Contender/EOne and The Pearson Group.
Deborah has managed the campaigns for hundreds of films, including: A Separation, Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, Amour, Antichrist, Apocalypto, Archipelago, Berberian Sound Studios, Fish Tank, Kajaki. The True Story, McCullin, Melancholia, Mid August Lunch, Ong-Bak, Pina, Route Irish, The Class, The Deep Blue Sea, The White Ribbon, We Are Many, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Tony Benn: Will & Testament, Winter’s Bone, Wuthering Heights and 13 Assassins
How to apply
Application deadline: Register your interest
This course is not currently open for applications. Please register your interest to apply.