Welcome to Channel 4 and the National Film and Television School (NFTS)’s booking page for an exciting range of Masterclasses, Training Courses and workshops – all intended to support indies and freelancers in the UK Nations and Regions.
Monday the 12th April sees the start of a fantastic week of online training, where you can learn from numerous exciting names in the UK television landscape. Channel 4 has identified Development and Pitching as the theme for this week as this is a key priority. NFTS have responded with world class training sessions for the independent production sector. The focus is primarily on unscripted. The Monday Masterclass and all Channel 4 sessions are open to everyone. The NFTS led sessions, as they are more interactive are limited to 40 participants. To help ensure sessions are broadly available we will also limit attendance to a maximum of 2 NFTS sessions per person.
Full Schedule (PDF)
- NFTS Masterclass – Angela Ferreira: Monday 12th April @ 10am - 11.30am
- Join us for a masterclass with Angela Ferreira, who over a stellar career has produced, executive produced and commissioned some of the biggest worldwide TV brands. She is now M.D of Douglas Road Productions, this is a great opportunity to learn from one of the most successful women in TV. There will be opportunity to ask questions, so come prepared.
- NFTS: Diversity in Development - Addie Orfila: Monday 12th April @ 12pm - 1.30pm
- Addie Orfila will lead you through how to ensure your development process embraces true diversity of voice.
- NFTS: The Ideas Lab 1; Development – Fran Robertson: Monday 12th April 2pm – 4pm
- An interactive session that will hone your factual development skills - and help you to think about new and compelling ways to tell stories. The session will cover: Finding the story and the approach; Access and Research &Identifying the right market for your idea.
- NFTS: Practice Your Pitch – Tracey Gardiner: Tuesday 13th April 09:30am – 11:30am
- Take a chance to practice your pitching skills in front of an audience, get real time feedback from an experienced industry professional. We have lots of room for attendees, 10 pitches will be selected at random to pitch – come prepared.
- NFTS: The Narrative of the Pitch – Peter Dale: Tuesday 13th April 2pm - 4pm
- In this session, Peter Dale will explain the elements that every pitch needs and how to organise those essential elements of your story into a compelling narrative.
- NFTS: Developing Killer Ideas – Simon Broadley: Wednesday 14th April 09:30am – 11:30am
- Ideas are currency in television - and everyone is on the search for the next exciting new idea that will transform the schedules. This masterclass is designed to give you the tools and techniques to generate the best concepts for any genre. Gain confidence in developing the right idea for a channel’s brief.
- C4: Thinking Big in the Nations & Regions: Wednesday 14th April 12pm - 1pm
Join this virtual panel with Channel 4 commissioners from across the UK, discussing what works and doesn’t work in Nations and Region unscripted commissioning and how to think as ambitiously as possible. With Kate Thomas, Deborah Dunnett, Harjeet Chhokar and Will Rowson.
- NFTS: The Ideas Lab 2; Pitching – Fran Robertson: Wednesday 14th April 2pm – 4pm
- We will explore the basic principles of how to effectively communicate your ideas and increase your chances of selling your idea. With tips and advice, including commissioning do’s and don’ts - the session will cover: Treatments/proposals; Sizzles/tasters & Pitching in the room.
- C4: Taking TV Development online with TRC (18 places only): Thursday 15thApril 9.30am-11.30am
- Remotely running your development meetings? Learn how to connect and collaborate creatively with your team! Aimed at those involved in TV development to help you to run successful, creative and productive development meetings remotely.
- NFTS: The Practicalities of Pitching – Caroline Clayton: Thursday 15thApril 2pm – 4pm
- With unprecedented numbers of indies pitching into the market, it’s never been harder to win a commission. This session reveals the 10 steps to making a successful pitch and what you can do to give your ideas the very best shot.
- C4: Sustainability and Climate Content: Friday 16th April 10am-11am
- Join Channel 4 and albert to find out how to create greener productions and engage audiences by putting the planet into programme editorial.
- C4: How not to get sued – the sequel: Friday 16th April 12pm – 1pm
- Join Channel 4’s Legal team as they help you to navigate the tricky world of legal and compliance, how Channel 4 can support you, and the training and resources on offer.
- NFTS: When, how and why to Sizzle – Hollie Abbott: Friday 16th April 2pm – 4pm
- What makes a great sizzle tape? In an age where networks and VODs require more material than ever for a new idea, having a killer sizzle could help to push your project over the line. Find out some tips and tricks on how to approach your tapes in this 2 hour online session.