Welcome to the NFTS

歡迎來到NFTS | Bem-vindo às NFTS | NFTS 오신 것을 환영합니
NFTSへようこそ | NFTS में आपका स्वागत है | Bienvenido a los NFTS
NFTS مرحبا بكم في | به NFTS خوش آمدید | Bienvenue à la NFTS

This page includes information on EU/EEA and International Tier 4 visa, fees and funding information and healthcare.

‘The NFTS has a brilliant creative atmosphere. It actually feels like the staff and students are dedicated to being the best film school in the world.‘ Anthony Chen (Singapore) Director

The National Film and Television School would like to reassure applicants from EU/ EEA countries that if they have already applied for, or are about to apply for, a one year Diploma starting in September 2020 or January 2021, or an MA course starting in January 2021, we guarantee that their fees will not change for the duration of their studies and will match those of their fellow UK students. 

What you need to know

​ ​

EU/EEA Nationals

The UK left the European Union at the end of January 2020 and entered a transition period until 31 December 2020. During the transition period free movement will continue.

The Government has confirmed its commitment to protect the rights of EEA and Swiss nationals, and their family members, currently residing in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme will enable EEA and Swiss nationals to continue living in the UK longer-term with the same access to work, study, benefits and public services. You can read more about this in the next drop-down.

EEA and Swiss citizens moving to live in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 will not require a visa and, after arrival, will also be eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

The National Film and Television School would like to reassure applicants from EU/ EEA countries that if they have already applied for, or are about to apply for, a one year Diploma starting in September 2020 or January 2021, or an MA course starting in January 2021, we guarantee that their fees will not change for the duration of their studies and will match those of their fellow UK students.

If you are an EU/EEA citizen intending to study with us from January 2021, under the new points-based immigration system, you will need to apply for immigration permission to study in the UK. It is likely you will be granted permission if you receive/have the following:

  • An offer for a place at the NFTS
  • Can speak, read and write English
  • Can support yourself financially during your studies 

Full details are yet to be announced, however we will update this page as and when we get more information.

While the School is a multinational community, courses are taught and assessed in English. Therefore you must be fluent in written and spoken English. Currently, the school does not require you to have a certificate of competency in English, however; this may change under the new immigration rules.

EEA member countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you to apply for either settled or pre-settled status:

Settled status

If you have lived in the UK for a continuous 5 year period you can apply for indefinite leave to remain, referred to as settled status. This status enables you to continue living in the UK permanently. You can still apply if you have had absences from the UK during the 5 year period of up to 6 months in any 12 month period, or one period of up to 12 months in certain circumstances including serious illness or study.

Pre-settled status

You can apply for limited leave to remain on the basis of currently residing in the UK. This is referred to as pre-settled status. Once you have pre-settled status, you can apply for settled status once you have met the 5 year continuous residence period. You will not be asked to choose which status you are applying for in the application. Which status you get depends on how long you have been living in the UK when you apply.

EEA and Swiss nationals who have arrived to live in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 will have up until 30 June 2021 to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This is necessary if you wish to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Tier 4 Student Visa (International)

As an international citizen/national, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 Student visa before coming to the UK to start your course, otherwise you will not be allowed to enter the UK. You can check whether you need a visa at this government webpage: www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa. There is a maximum five-year time limit for UK study on courses at degree level (undergraduate and Master’s) on a Tier 4 visa.

After you have accepted an offer of a place at the school, the NFTS Registry will prepare to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which you will need in order to apply for a visa. The NFTS Registry will contact you about your CAS requirements and advise you through the entire process. Your CAS will be valid to use for a visa application for six months and you can apply up to six months before the start of your course in January.

Your CAS number, which you need for your visa application, will be emailed to you in a 'CAS statement' which lists the NFTS Tier 4 Licensed Sponsor number, name and address and the information that the NFTS has sent digitally to the Home Office in the CAS which is a virtual electronic document. In order to issue your CAS, if you have been offered a place on one of our courses, we will require the following:

  • A copy of your valid passport
  • A copy of your degree certificate (if you have obtained a degree)

You will need to meet strict criteria about the amount of money that you have available to you, and the documentation you need to provide to prove this. In order to receive your CAS and your visa you will need to show us and UK Visa and Immigration that you have enough money to pay the tuition fees and cover your living expenses. Along with the payment of your first year tuition fees, you will need to demonstrate that you have a minimum of £10,000 held in you or your parents’ bank account for 28 consecutive days.

All documents must be officially translated into English where necessary.

You may also need to provide the following:

You can also check the money requirements and whether you are required to sit the IELTS and obtain a TB certificate in the General Guidance on the government information webpage.

As soon as you are made an offer on one of our MA courses, we will ask you to begin preparing the above listed documents. We should have received these from you by the end of October so that we can issue your CAS and you can begin the visa application process yourself. We ask that you are organised with this preparation early so that there are no delays to your visa being issued or arrival into the UK to begin your course.

In addition, student visa interviews are also now required in many countries. Therefore, you will need to allow sufficient time to book your appointment as some countries have lengthy waiting periods. For information, check the website belonging to the country from where you are applying for a visa.

To find out how to apply for a visa in your home country please visit the UK Visas website: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/overview.

If you are unsure about the requirements for getting a student visa, or need any other advice, please contact the NFTS Registry: registry@nfts.co.uk

You will also find useful information at the UKCISA website.

N.B. We are aware that under the current circumstances of the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, IELTS test centres and UKVI offices are closed indefinitely. We hope that by October, which is when we would need your IELTS test certificate and other documents by to issue your CAS for your Tier 4 visa application, the test centres and offices will have re-opened. We are continuing to review the situation and will update this page when we have further information.

Studying Short Courses

You can carry out up to 30 days of study with a General, Business, or Family Visitor visa to the UK.

The study must be an extra activity that you do during your visit to the UK, and can’t be the main purpose of your visit.

You should apply for a Short-term Study visa (also known as a Student Visitor visa) if the main purpose of your visit is study. This visa allows non-EEA nationals to come to the UK to undertake a short period of study where the duration is less than six months.

You cannot apply for this visa if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

For more information, please see the government web page here: www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa

Funding Advice

Postgraduate Loan

Postgraduate students from the EU/EEA can currently apply for the Postgraduate loan scheme to help with their studies at any UK university including the NFTS via the Student Loans Company. However, the government have not yet confirmed whether this will continue for students joining the School after 2020. Loans of up to £10,906 are available to contribute to course and living costs.

Students will begin to pay back their loan 3 months after they graduate, at approx. 6% of income over the threshold of £25,000.

If the cost of advancing your talent has been worrying you – and you think this might just make the difference, visit www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance f‎or more information, or apply online at www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan.

Please note: you need to be an EU National resident in the EU, or a UK National resident in England to be eligible for the loan. We are currently waiting on further information from the UK Government regarding the eligibility for EU Nationals post-Brexit.


Funding opportunities and advice for European and international students

Information about funding opportunities and other financial advice for both EU/EEA and international students is available on the UCKISA website: www.ukcisa.org.uk

Many countries have scholarship programmes for students wanting to study abroad and it’s worth investigating these in your home country. Additionally there are British Government-funded scholarship schemes available through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Overseas Development Administration or United Nations. You can find out more from the British Council, Embassy or High Commission in your own country or from: www.britishcouncil.org or www.educationuk.org

The application deadline for these scholarships may fall before our selection process is over, so you should ask if you can make an application in principle even though you may not yet have been offered a place at the School.

Funding enquiries can be sent to studentfunding@nfts.co.uk and enquiries about submitted applications, workshops and interviews can be addressed to registry@nfts.co.uk

American Students

Please see our page dedicated to Funding for American Students.

Post-Study Work Visa

Currently, if you are an international student on a Tier 4 Student visa, you are allowed to stay in the UK for 4 months after you have completed your course. At this point, you must return home or if you wish to stay and work in the UK, you must have by this point, found an employer to sponsor you to switch to a Tier 2 General Work visa. This is the main immigration route to work in the UK and allows you to work for up to 5 years.

For individuals who are a commonwealth citizen, are planning to work and have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa, which would allow you to stay and work in the UK for up to 5 years but you must be able to prove that a grandparent was born in the UK. More information on these visas and others can be found on the government web page here: www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas

Graduate Immigration Route

In September 2019, the UK Government announced the introduction of a new 2- year Graduate Immigration Route for international students on a Tier 4 Student visa. Successful applicants on this route will be able to stay and work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for a maximum period of two years. Graduates will be able to switch into skilled work once they have found a suitable job.

The new route will be launched in the summer of 2021, meaning that any eligible student who graduates in or after the summer of 2021 will be able to apply for the route. This includes students who have already started their courses.

Please be aware that this route is not yet law and could be delayed or withdrawn in future. As the government adds further details to this route, we will update this page with further information.

For more information, please see the government’s web page here: homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2019/10/14/fact-sheet-graduate-immigration-route/

There are a number of other visa routes in the UK and eligibility will depend on your personal circumstances.

For further details on all of the different visa options and the latest updates, please see the UKVI website: www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas

Visa and Funding Advice

As an international student we understand the challenges you face in applying. To ensure this process runs as smoothly as possible we’re here to help. Our registry team can answer any questions on a range of Tier 4 visa and related areas of immigration and funding you have at a time that’s convenient for you.

For more information please email registry@nfts.co.uk or call +44 (0)1494 731351/ +44 (0)1494 731425

We aim to provide a response within 5 working days but this is not always possible during peak periods.

The service is available throughout the year, Monday to Friday during the office hours of 9:30-5:30, except for the Christmas and Easter closure period.

NB. Currently, due to Covid-19, we are not available via telephone.

UK Healthcare

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of health care services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. You should register with a doctor as soon as possible after your arrival in the UK. You can ask the school about local GP surgeries in Beaconsfield.

Tier 4 Students

Those applying for a Tier 4 student visa and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application fee. Students will be required to pay £300 per year for the duration the visa will be granted. Tier 4 dependants will also be required to pay the surcharge. The immigration healthcharge is in addition to the visa application fee.

The immigration health surcharge will entitle Tier 4 students to access NHS care in the UK at no additional cost in the same way as a permanent UK resident. This includes at the Doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital. You may need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy. There are also exceptions for particularly expensive discretionary treatments. If your visa application is not successful, you will automatically be refunded the immigration health surcharge (but not the visa application fee). The surcharge will not be partially refunded if you depart the UK earlier than the expiry of your visa. The surcharge is also not refunded if you do not use the NHS during your time in the UK.


EEA and Swiss nationals

The UK's Department of Health has produced a leaflet on Health Care Information for students from the European Economic Area. Non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals, and their family, are currently advised to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. A status granted under the EU Settlement Scheme, designed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their families living in the UK after the Brexit transition period, will enable EEA nationals to continue studying in the UK and use National Health Services. You can apply for a status under the scheme after you arrive to start your studies.


Short courses and study

If your course is less than six months or you are required to make a number of occasional visits to the UK for short study periods and you are from a non-EEA country, you are advised to take out medical insurance as you will be liable for NHS charges for the treatment you receive in the UK except for in a medical emergency and this is limited. Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with the UK which may entitle you to some free healthcare on the NHS but you should seek advice from the health authorities in your home country about what treatment will be covered. EEA nationals should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).


Private medical insurance

You cannot take out private healthcare insurance as an alternative to paying the health immigration surcharge as this is a mandatory fee included as part of your visa application. It is a personal decision whether you also have private healthcare insurance. You may wish to consider this to cover the following potential health-related costs:

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Costs incurred returning to your home country for treatment
  • Private medical treatment If you already have medical insurance in your home country, you may wish to check whether this can be extended to cover your stay in the UK.


Be part of the story.

Be part of the story.

Find a course