Life at the NFTS
Our wide range of courses are some of the most exciting and innovative in the world, enabling you to channel your passion into real world skills.
The School provides a whole range of unrivalled benefits, in addition to our world renowned training and state-of-the-art facilities. Here is just a flavour of what you can expect from life as a student of the NFTS:
Springboard Week (aka Freshers Week!) is an annual event at the end of January to welcome our new students into the School. Taking place over five jam-packed days, Springboard involves unmissable Masterclasses, mixers, talks with industry leaders, engaging, practical workshops and the opportunity to make friends for life.
- Don’t miss your chance to attend the NFTS’ famed Masterclasses, virtually or in person! The School hosts dozens of masterclasses every year, giving students the opportunity to learn from and ask questions of some of the most significant figures from the world of film, television and games. Masterclasses are often accompanied by exclusive preview screenings. Find out more about our recent Masterclass guests.
- As a student of the NFTS, you’ll gain access to free weekly films, enjoyed from the comfort of our two state-of-the-art cinemas! Take a seat, relax and watch all the latest releases through our Cinema Club, with films ranging from the biggest blockbusters, limited releases and independent cinema.
- The David Lean Library is open daily and offers a huge range of resources to enrich your experience whilst at the School, with access to a range of archive material, as well as an extensive collection of specialist books and complimentary streaming subscriptions.
- 24/7 access to Workplace by Meta, an essential online tool to keep you informed and connected with fellow students and staff. The platform is a communal space packed with student groups sharing information, a ‘Knowledge Library’ of School information and a dedicated Accommodation page. Lost something? Need to crew up a project? Post it on Workplace for swift responses!
- All NFTS students are eligible to join UNiDAYS, a student discount app offering big savings across major brands and retailers.
- The NFTS offers a variety of ways to subsidise your studies with part time work while studying. Opportunities include working at our on-site bar, Nik’s Bar, becoming a student ambassador, assisting with events such as our annual Gala, photography work, and helping with Outreach activity.
- Collaborate with like-minded people! The NFTS is a unique environment where students from other disciplines work together, both in School and on personal projects. The NFTS is renowned for being a place where the people you meet while studying with us will become the people you collaborate with for the rest of your working life.
Our on-site Student Support and Wellbeing team are on hand to help you from the moment you arrive, with the support offered aimed at helping you to reach your full potential. Confidential advice and guidance are accessible on a range of topics including health and wellbeing, money management and budgeting, disability support and referrals to external agencies including local doctors and support agencies.
The team also organise events including weekly yoga classes, financial surgeries and regular ‘Wellbeing Weeks’ with activities for students.
All students are offered a daily complimentary breakfast with tea and coffee available in communal areas throughout the day.
Organic and environmentally sustainable free sanitary products available for all students throughout the School.
Join Screen Arts, our popular and unique programme designed to give each student the opportunity to engage with the history, contemporary practice and wider culture of the moving image. Throughout the year, Screen Arts provides a series of unmissable talks, discussions and screenings which students can discuss and reflect on together.
The busy NFTS Students' Union is run by students for students, with the aim of providing the best possible academic and social experience while studying with us. With a host of student-led events to look forward to throughout the year, including mixers, screenings, days trips, open mic nights plus regular networking events to help students connect and collaborate on projects across different courses, there are a myriad of ways to get involved!
NFTS students and graduates benefit from ‘Bridge to Industry’ opportunities designed to forge creative relationships and build talent pathways into the Industry. These provide the chance to create shorts, films and promos with our Industry partners while continuing to be supported by the NFTS. Students and recent graduates are invited to craft proposals in response to Bridge to Industry briefs. The selection and shortlisting process may include pitching and discussing ideas with Industry panels (eg BBC Film and Channel 4) and the NFTS. To view work created via Bridge to Industry schemes please visit our channel in the NFTS Screening Room.
Career Development Support is available to students via dedicated activities through your course and our tailored Ready to Work programme. Ahead of graduating, students are invited to take part in a dedicated Ready to Work Week with a programme of events focused on helping you transition into the world of work. These sessions can include information on managing your finances, networking, CVs, finding an agent and setting up dedicated social media channels.