The National Film and Television School's management team and senior staff are responsible for the direction and operation of the School.
- Dr Jonathan Wardle | Director
- Jon is the Director of the National Film and Television School. He joined the School in 2012 as the Director of Curriculum & Registrar, before becoming Deputy Director in 2016. For 10 years previously, he worked at Bournemouth University in a variety of senior roles. During his career Jon has worked as a consultant for ScreenSkills, developed courses with companies as diverse as Aardman, Sony Computers Entertainment Europe and the BBC and he is the author of a number of papers and book chapters on media education. He is Co-Director of the National Centre for Immersive Storytelling (Storyfutures Academy), annually he leads the BFI Film Academy Talent Campus Residential. He is a BAFTA member, a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the National Association of Television Production Executives (NATPE) and he is on the Royal Television Society Education Committee.
Jon was NFTS Deputy Director & Director of Curriculum & Registrar from 2012 -2017. He was responsible for all educational matters at the NFTS including curriculum development, quality assurance, education enhancement and registry. Jon was appointed Director of the School in August 2017.
Since joining the NFTS Jon has developed a number of new courses working in partnership with organisations including Sky, Channel 4, Discovery Networks International, the BBC and Aardman. Jon leads the annual BFI Film Academy, a ‘talent campus’ for 66 of the most talented 16-19 year old filmmakers in the UK.
Jon is the author of a number of papers and book chapters on media education as well as co-editor of the book ‘Current Perspectives in Media Education'. Jon is on the editorial board of the Media Education Research Journal, is an executive officer of the Media Education Association and Nahemi, is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the National Association of Television Production Executives (NATPE), an associate member of BAFTA and an advisor on education to the Royal Television Society. He has a BA (Hons) in Television Production from Bournemouth University, an MBA from the University of Southampton and a Doctorate of Education from the University of Bristol.
- Trevor Hall | Finance Director
Trevor qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2000, securing a place on the ICAEW Order of Merit.
After a number of roles in the commercial sector with Marconi Plc and Aviva Plc, he changed direction and moved into the not-for-profit sector, joining social housing provider Anglia Housing Group as Financial Controller for its south-England based subsidiaries. Over the next 11 years, he enjoyed a variety of roles including Group Financial Controller post-merger with the C33 Housing Group, and Assistant Finance Director of the Group's Commercial division.
2014, saw a move to the Higher Education sector, joining Trinity Laban Conservative of Music & Dance as Head of Financial Accounting. After a year at Trinity the opportunity to join the National Film and Television School arose where he has been Finance Director since 2016.
To contact Trevor, e-mail: email@example.com
- Kate Renwick | HR Director
To contact Kate, e-mail:
- Annalise Davis | Head of Production
To contact Annalise, e-mail:
- Eleanor Wheal | Registrar
Eleanor qualified as a solicitor in a City law firm after completing her English Literature degree at York University, and specialised in media law. She then took up practice as a commercial litigator at a firm in Uxbridge acting for a wide variety of corporate clients.
After a short career break, Eleanor took up a role at Brunel University London in 2006 as Complaints Officer and then progressed quickly to become responsible for student welfare and compliance matters. She was appointed Head of Student Services in 2010 with responsibility for a wide range of student-facing departments. Eleanor was seconded to lead the University’s preparations for its Quality Assurance Review which took place in 2016. Following this, Eleanor was appointed as Head of Quality Assurance and then in July 2017 became Assistant Director Academic Services.
- Ijeoma Akigwe | Director of Marketing and External Relations
Details of our Heads of Department and Course Leaders can be found here. A selection of current or recent visiting tutors are also included on course pages.
- Hazel Arthur | Web Design and Publications Manager
Hazel came to the NFTS in 1996 – shortly after completing her BA (Hons) in Film, Media and Culture at Bucks College (then, a college of Brunel University). After working for 3 years assisting in various departments, she was asked to produce layout and artwork for NFTS publications, and to build/maintain a website for the NFTS, a role that did not exist up until this point. Hazel's role has expanded from there to manage the creation of visual/digital content for both web and print, which she has now done for just over 20 years.
- Steven Boneham | Curriculum Finance Officer
- Joe Bradbury-Walters | Head of Outreach
- Joe has worked in Widening participation and Outreach for over 15 years and until recently was the UK Chair of HELOA, the national association for professionals working with students pre and post entry into University. Prior to joining the school Joe has worked for the University of Surrey and the University of Portsmouth. In both institutions Joe managed, designed, developed and delivered outreach opportunities to thousands of young people from aged 9 upwards. Joe’s aim has always been to ensure people have the knowledge to allow them to make informed choices on their future and to break down barriers to higher education and beyond. Joe’s role at the NFTS is to continue engaging and inspiring people from all backgrounds to find the untold stories and unheard voices of the next generation of UK Film, Television and Games Talent.
- Duncan Bruce | Alumni Manager
- Duncan is a graduate of the National Film and Television School (Editing, 2010) and was appointed Alumni Manager in August 2019. Duncan’s role involves maintaining contact with the school’s ever-growing Alumni (Over 3,500 graduates) as well as tracking their accomplishments and credits. In addition to his role as Alumni Manager, Duncan coordinates the Cinematography MA and Assistant Camera Diplomas. He is a member of the Royal Society of Arts. Prior to joining the NFTS, Duncan worked as a freelance editor working principally in the fields of commercials/promos and Documentary.
- Gillian Carr | HR Manager
Gillian is currently the HR Manager at NFTS. She joined the NFTS in March 2017, having previously worked at Bucks New University as a Senior HR Advisor. Prior to her experience in Higher Education she worked at a local housebuilder as Group HR Officer for 12 years.
Gillian has just completed an MA in Human Resource Management.
- Robin Crumpton | Facilities Manager
I have been in Estates and Facilities for over 10 years. One of my first positions in fact was within a secondary school that had just been constructed, so to work for the NFTS feels like coming home. I then worked in London for several years in Freehold Mansion Blocks, taking on some major construction and refurbishment projects, an element of facilities I particularly enjoy. More recently I was lucky enough to work for Raymond Blanc at one of his properties in Oxfordshire which introduced me to a new arena. I take an immense satisfaction from the problem solving side of Estate Management, it is always rewarding and plays to a lot of my own strengths, I trust I can develop these strengths within the NFTS and really make a difference to the School during my time here.
- Mirinda Dawkins | Head of PR and Communications
- Tori Giglio | Events and Alumni Manager
Prior to working for the NFTS, Tori worked for The Ambassador Theatre Group – the largest entertainment company in the UK, organising events at the Aylesbury Waterside Theatre. Projects included: sporting awards and galas, weddings and 80’s party nights. She also secured the first ever Comic Con to be hosted at a regional theatre as well as the weekly debate show Question Time.
With a background in events and client management she has also overseen events including: the Liberty Global Lessons for Life gala held at the British Museum and the launch of Harrods Corporate Service luxury hampers.
- Alison Goring | Head of NFTS Scotland
Alison Goring worked for many years in film and TV drama in the UK and abroad as a 2nd Assistant Director and Production Manager. Her credits include This is England 86, Mad Dogs, Cloud Atlas, Hysteria and The Awakening. In 2012 she stepped away from production and took up the position of Drama Talent Manager, delivering the BECTU Vision project, a union learning short course project and the Drama Training Programme, a pan-industry funded programme to support senior editorial talent development and a Stepping Up programme for craft, technical and production crew.
- Noel Greenwood | Librarian
Armed with an English degree from Loughborough University, Noel Greenwood joined the school in 1984 and has remained here ever since, making the NFTS his first and only employer! During his progression from Library Assistant [to Librarian] Noel has overseen the development of the Library from index cards and celluloid to databases and DCPs and has witnessed it’s growth from a collection of around 500 books and 200 VHS tapes to an archive of over 55,000 items. Noel also performs an alumni tracking role, monitoring the achievements and credits of the school’s ever-growing body of graduates.
- Alex Gurney | Head of Financial Reporting and Projects
Alex started at the NFTS in 1997 as Finance Assistant moving on to the roles of Management Accountant and then Finance Manager before being appointed Head of Financial Reporting and Projects, a role which involves responsibility for the financial statements and external audits for all NFTS companies, and financial reporting to funders,management, and various other stakeholders.
The role also involves managing the financial reporting team which includes the management accountant.
Alex has a BA in History from Manchester University and is a qualified chartered management accountant (CIMA) and accounting technician (AAT).
- Venetia Hawkes | Executive Producer, Masterclasses and Bridges to Industry
As Executive Producer, Venetia has been responsible for running and delivering the NFTS Masterclass and Bridge to Industry programmes for over ten years.
She secures and produces Masterclasses with guest speakers and also arranges specialist genre days, including Commercials, Music Video, Horror and Sci-Fi and Fantasy days.
She is responsible for student and graduate films with Industry partners such as BBC Films, Jigsaw and Odeon.
Prior to the NFTS, Venetia worked in production on Oscar nominated, BAFTA and Emmy winning animated TV programmes. She also writes features for magazines.
She has a distinction in Script Development from the NFTS and a BA and MA in History from Exeter University.
- Abigail Howkins | Development Manager, NFTS Scotland
Abigail joined NFTS in 2018 as the Development Manager of NFTS Scotland, the school’s first hub outside of Beaconsfield.
Abigail has worked in film and TV production as a Co-ordinator and Manager in Scotland, produced several award-winning short films and a feature drama and taught undergraduate students on the BA Digital Film and Television course at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. She also co-founded and directed Diversity Films CIC which ran training and mentoring programmes to widen access to filmmaking in communities in Scotland and produced videos for a range of public and third sector clients.
Since 2012, Abigail has coordinated and managed creative media and education projects for organisations including Glasgow Life (during Culture 2014/Festival 2014), Tramway, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and the University of the West of Scotland (Creative Media Academy).
- Katarina Kakpa | Registry Manager
- Shakil Mohammed | Curriculum Co-ordinator Manager
Shakil is a screenwriting graduate of the NFTS. He returned to the NFTS and worked in the library. A couple of years later he transitioned over to coordinating, firstly Directing Animation, Editing, Screenwriting and finally Directing Fiction. He now manages a team who coordinate the full time MAs and Diplomas. He still writes and directs. https://vimeo.com/user32176825
- Doug Shannon | Head of Systems and IT
- Louise Worrall | Finance Manager
Louise started working in Finance at the age of 16. Her first role was for The Services Sound and Vision Corporation, who broadcast live radio and television to the Armed Forces. After taking a year out to travel the world, Louise continued her Finance career mainly within the Hotel and Hospitality industry, until joining the NFTS in April 2015.
The 2015 film Minions was edited by NFTS graduate Claire Dodgson.