Student with clapperboard on set

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General questions | Fees/funding/visas | Applying for a course | Student information | Getting involved on productions

General questions

Q: What is the difference between a Master's, Diploma and Certificate course?

A: The main difference between the courses is the length and intensity of study. Our Master's degrees are a postgraduate qualification and are two years in length. Our MA courses are designed to give you in-depth knowledge and expertise in a particular specialisation. Applicants can come from a range of backgrounds, including undergraduate study or have a few years of relevant industry experience.

Diploma courses range from 6 months to 18 months in length, delivering specialist skills to prepare you for a job or professional role in the Industry. Applicants can come from undergraduate study, and/or have impressive portfolios, a creative track record or alternative qualifications. Diplomas offer more in-depth study compared to a Certificate course.

Certificate courses range from 8 weeks to 9 months in length and will introduce you to and give you a fundamental understanding of the area that you are studying. Applicants should have a good general education and be able to demonstrate their passion for the subject, but there are no specific entry requirements for Certificates.

Q: When do courses commence?

A: Our MA and most Diploma courses commence in January each year, however some Diplomas do start in September and our Certificate and short courses run throughout the year. This information is included on each course page of our website.

Q: What are the term dates?

A: The teaching year is 39 weeks, although term dates vary slightly each year. Students have non-curriculum breaks three times per year (length of each break is approximate):
Easter: two weeks | Summer: five weeks | Christmas: two weeks

Q: Do you partner with the Erasmus Programme?

A: No, unfortunately, this is not something we offer.

Q: Can I visit the NFTS?

A: Please visit our Events page where you will find details about upcoming Open Days. A Virtual Tour is also available to watch at our Online Open Days.

Q: How many students do you take each year?

A: It depends on the course. The majority of our Master's courses enrol 10 students annually, however the majority of our Diplomas take 12 – 16.

Q: Do you offer online or distance learning?

A: We run bitesized and some short courses online, and some of our Diplomas/Certificates are occasionally part-delivered online. All other courses are delivered on-site. You can search for courses by delivery type (online/in-person/blended) on our courses page.

Two blended learning courses where the teaching will primarily take place online, are our Certificate in Filmmaking and Post Production Supervision Certificate in partnership with Netflix and HBO/WarnerMedia. 

Q: Can I transfer from my current University?

A: Please see our Policy for Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning and Credit Transfers.

Fees, funding and visas

Q: What are the course fees?

A: Details of the fees, as well as additional costs, are available on the course pages. 

Q: What tuition fee rate do I pay?

A: Tuition fees depend on nationality and residency.
UK/Irish citizens: "home" rate applies.
EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status: “home” rate applies, subject to meeting the residency requirements (you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for 3 years prior to the start of your course). You can find out the course tuition fees on each course webpage.
International/EU nationals without pre-settled or settled status: "international" rate applies.

Q: Am I eligible for financial aid?

A: We offer NFTS funding and scholarships to UK citizens (British passport holders) who have been resident in the UK for at least the last three years. Candidates are asked to provide evidence of their residency if invited to interview to determine their eligibility. Our Scholarships and Funding Guide pages have more detailed information. Occasionally we do have some other Scholarships available to EU and International applicants depending on the course you are applying for. This information should be included on each course page. We also administer the US Federal Loan for American students which you can find out more about here.

Q: When should I apply for a Student Visa?

A: Should you need a student visa to study at then NFTS, details of how to apply can be found on our Students From Abroad page. Additionally, the government website has detailed information on how to apply.

Applying for your course

Q: What are the entry requirements for NFTS courses?

A: The key thing we look for in applicants is a passion for the subject they are applying for and that they have some evidence of that passion. Applicants normally also have an undergraduate degree. Those that do not, will generally have 3-4 years of relevant (not necessarily direct) experience in the specialisation they are intending on applying to. 

For all courses, you will be able to demonstrate an understanding of practical skills and theory in your chosen specialisation. If you are not sure whether your experience or qualifications are appropriate, please ask our Registry team for advice at

We consider applicants on the basis of their whole application and on evidence of their ability to benefit from the course and to complete it successfully. Your portfolio or other supporting materials help us to assess your application.

Age requirement: You must be 21 years of age by the time an MA course is due to start.

Q: How do I apply for a course?

A: You can apply online via our website. Application forms are accessible via each of the course webpages for approximately four to six months before the submission deadline. You can submit your application up until 23:59 on the day of the application deadline.

For MA courses, there is an application fee of £25, which makes a contribution to the cost of assessment. We are unable to process applications without payment. Please note: You do not have to pay an application fee when applying for a Diploma or Certificate course.

Q: Can I apply for more than one course?

A: Yes, you are welcome to apply for more than one course, however we advise no more than three. Please note that there is a £25 application fee for MA courses to be paid for each application you make.

Q: What is the selection process?

A: Applications are first assessed by a panel of NFTS tutors and Industry professionals, who choose a shortlist of candidates to attend an interview. For some courses, the interview may include a simple test appropriate to the specialisation, or candidates may be asked to bring additional material.

For some MA courses, there will be a short three or five-day workshop in July or August, after which the final selection of students is made. Workshops - usually charged at £100 for three days or £150 for five/six days - give you the chance to experience the NFTS environment and working methods, and allow us the opportunity to see potential students in action. They are designed to be a useful learning experience for all who take part, whether or not they are eventually offered a place.

Q: What if I have a disability or Learning Difference?

A: Students are assessed as individuals according to their relevant skills, abilities and merits and all have equal access to learning opportunities within the School. We are actively seeking to redress imbalances within the Industry by encouraging dynamic people with appropriate talents and skills to apply, whatever their ethnic or national origin, age, gender, class, sexual orientation, disability, religious or political beliefs. If you would like more information about the support available at the School, please contact

Q: Do I need a language certificate?

A: If you are an International applicant coming from a non-English speaking country, or an EU applicant without pre-settled or settled status, we do require a certificate confirming your competence in English. You must pass a Secure English Test (SELT) from an approved provider and you must have obtained a minimum of CERF level B2. You can check the requirements directly on the Government information website

Q: Can I apply for an MA if I don’t have an undergraduate degree?

A: Yes, if you hold the equivalent experience (for example, if you have worked in a related professional role) and can submit the supporting material listed in the How to Apply section of the course webpage.

Q: What should I put in the Education Eighteen and over section if I haven't graduated yet?

A: If you have not yet completed your degree, please complete as much information as you can to include the course title and university you’re attending. Please mark the result as pending. If you are later offered a place, we will need to see original proof of your qualifications before Registration.

Q: Who can act as my referees and when are references required?

A: You should provide one academic reference and one character reference. If you are not able to nominate an academic referee (i.e. you may not have been in education over the past few years), you are welcome to nominate somebody else who is familiar with your work (i.e. an employer). If you are successful in either being invited for interview, or offered a place at the School, your referees should send their references directly to Registry via the email address provided on the application form as signed pdf documents. 

Q: When will I hear whether my application has been successful?

A: It may take a number of weeks for an application to be processed, but we aim to deal with all applications and let you know the outcome as quickly as possible. In the meantime, if you are logged in to the website, and visit your dashboard, you will be able to see the current status of your application.

Q: I don’t live in the UK. Will I need to come to the School for an interview?

A: If your application is successful, you will be invited for a formal interview at the NFTS with the selection panel and for some courses be required to sit a small practical test. It is generally preferred you attend in person, however, in certain circumstances, applicants from overseas and EU may be interviewed via Zoom.

Q: I’ve forgotten my online application password, what should I do?

A: Click on the 'Forgotten password' link on the 'Login' page, where a new password can be generated for you and sent to the email address associated with your account. All you have to do is enter your username or email.

Q: Am I able to amend my application once it’s been submitted?

A: You cannot make any changes to your application once it has been submitted. We ask that you check your application through thoroughly to make sure there are no mistakes before you submit. If you need to make changes to your telephone number, email address or living address, you can email directly and ask for these changes to be made.

Q: How can I gain experience before applying for a course?

A: There is no single recommended route into the NFTS, although some previous experience is important if you are thinking of applying for one of our courses. For some specialisations, you may get sufficient experience from a college course or from applying your skills in a non-film context. Many applicants have learnt filmmaking basics and then made short films of their own. Others find work experience on film or television productions.

We also are interested with people with a background in new media, advertising, theatre and other parts of the creative and cultural industries.

Student Information

Q: Can I change course once I have started at the NFTS?

A: The vast majority of our courses run at maximum capacity, and it is therefore not usually possible for students to transfer between them. Being highly specialised in nature, it is also important that students complete all parts of their course.  However, all requests to transfer course will be considered on an individual basis by the Registrar in conjunction with the Heads of Department concerned.

Q: Can I transfer out of the NFTS to another university?

A: If you wish to leave the NFTS and transfer to another course at a different higher education institution, you should discuss this with your Head of Department in the first instance. The School will issue you with a letter confirming the modules you have successfully undertaken, and issue you with any interim award you have achieved.

Q: Do you provide accommodation?

A: No, we do not currently offer our students halls of residency or accommodation, nor do we vet accommodation available locally; it is the responsibility of the student to find their own. The Registry department invite you to join an accommodation page to help assist students in finding a place. Students generally house and flat-share in Beaconsfield, High Wycombe and surrounding areas or London and we estimate maintenance costs (rent, travel, food etc.) to be in the region of £10,000 per year.

Q: What support do you offer students?

A: Please see our Student Support page for more information.

Q: Will I be able to work part-time?

A: It depends on your work schedule. Some students do manage to work part-time locally; however, during busy production periods, evening and weekend attendance can be necessary, which makes working difficult.

Q: Will I get a job immediately after graduating from the National Film and Television School?

A: Whilst we cannot guarantee employment, the School’s motto is ‘Our credits tell the story’ because we have a high success rate in graduates finding work on top film, TV and games directly after graduation.

Getting involved on productions

Q: How can I be considered for casting on National Film and Television School projects?

A: The NFTS require cast for productions throughout the year. The majority of cast however are obtained through casting agencies and professional bodies. All roles are likely to be filled by professional actors and the NFTS has an agreed rate of pay with Equity.  If you are interested in roles in our student productions please contact your agent in the first instance.  CVs and head shots sent directly to the school are not guaranteed to be looked at. However we may in some instances add your details to a database for future projects. All data you send to us will be stored in line with the schools privacy policy .

Q: How do I become a volunteer for National Film and Television School productions?

A: The NFTS require volunteers throughout the year, in roles such as production assistants (runners), drivers or within our art and camera departments. We advertise the majority of our volunteering opportunities on the ‘My First Job In Film’ website. If you would like to be contacted with opportunities please send a CV with an email explaining your desired volunteering role to Your details will then be added to a database and you may be contacted with future opportunities. All your information will be stored in line with the school’s privacy policy.  

Q: I have a job opportunity I would like to offer your students and graduates, who should I contact?

A: Please fill in our student and graduate work request form (Word document) and return to the email address provided. Please note: we are unable to circulate unpaid positions or work opportunities to our graduates.

For all other general enquiries or unanswered questions, please contact the relevant department. Visit our Contact Us page for details.