The NFTS Welcomes American Students

American students thrive at the NFTS with many going on to win major international awards. Since 2000 the NFTS has welcomed more than a dozen American students to the school to study. In 2013 Tim Reckhart from Arizona was nominated for an Oscar and won an Annie Award for his NFTS Graduation Film Head over Heels and Kristina Yee from California won Student Academy Award Gold for her Graduation Film Miss Todd. 
The NFTS has also consistently been placed in the top twenty film schools in the world and top three non-US film schools by the Hollywood Reporter.


The NFTS offers more behind the camera courses than any other film school in the world with courses ranging from Cinematography to Directing and Screenwriting to Digital Effects. 
The School is a Postgraduate Institution and typically students who apply would have completed a US Bachelor's degree, which is equivalent to the UK Bachelor's.

Financial Support

The NFTS course fees are very competitive in relation to the leading US film schools and University film programmes.

US Government Loans

If you are a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States you are eligible to apply for funding under the US Government William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.


You must also meet the criteria set by the US Department of Education in order to be eligible for US Federal Loans. The eligibility criteria are subject to change at the US Department of Education's discretion and are beyond the University's control. You should check the latest eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.


In addition to the criteria specified on the Federal Student Aid website, you must be accepted on to one of our full-time postgraduate MA courses. You must remain continuously enrolled and resident in the UK for the duration of the course. If your enrolment/residency status, including any placement, changes at any time, you must inform the student loans administrator straight away.


Origination fee

The origination fee is a charge made by the US Department of Education (USDE) to cover the administrative charges related to your loan. For information on origination fees charged by the USDE please see Student Aid.

Please note: the loan origination fee is subject to change by the USDE.

The NFTS does not charge any loan fees. The USDE funds received by the School are converted into the equivalent GBP according to the daily exchange rate. Fluctuations in exchange rates cannot be used to increase the Cost of Attendance.

Interest rates

Please visit the Federal Student Aid website for details on current interest rates for direct loans.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), just as you did under the FFEL Program. We will use the information from your FAFSA to assist in determining your eligibility for a Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

  • To apply for a PIN if you do not already have one, or for customer service regarding a previously assigned PIN, visit the Federal Student Aid PIN Web site at
  • After the department processes your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please retain the SAR for your records and be prepared to provide it to us if we ask.
  • The NFTS ID number is G24967.

PLUS loans

If you would like to apply for a PLUS loan:

  • Go to the Student Loans website
  • Apply for your Plus Loans Credit Check
  • Take a screen shot to email to the NFTS, addressed to or include the email sent to you about your credit check.
  • Retreive a Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Direct Loan MPN Completion

You must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) for each loan type you wish to borrow. Although you may have previously signed an MPN to receive FFEL or Direct Loan Program loans, these MPNs cannot be used to make Direct Loans at our school.

The MPN is the legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loans and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loans. In some cases, a Direct Loan MPN can be used to make loans for up to ten (10) years. However, you will need to complete a new Direct Loan MPN each academic year that you receive a Direct Unsubsidized Loan at our school.

You may complete a Direct Loan MPN electronically via the Student Loans website
To complete a Direct Loan MPN electronically, you must have a Federal Student Aid PIN.This is the same PIN used to complete the FAFSA.

Direct Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling Completion

If you are a graduate/professional student and have not previously received a FFEL Stafford Loan or Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling before you can receive a Direct Loan.

You may complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling electronically via the Student Loans website
To complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling electronically, you must have a Federal Student Aid PIN. This is the same PIN used to complete the FAFSA.
You will need to complete Entrance Counseling for each type of loan you borrow (e.g. Stafford and PLUS).
You will also be required to complete Exit Counseling shortly before you complete your studies.

Disbursement of funds

The loans will be disbursed to the NFTS who will then arrange to convert the loans to pounds sterling. Once we know the amount in pounds received, the money is allocated to tuition fees as laid down in the US Dept of Education regulations, before any excess is returned to you. You will then be notified of how the loan has been allocated. Disbursements are made in three instalments in January, May and September.


If you are exempt from Selective Services, please provide proof:

Certificate of Naturalisation or another certificate of exemption


The NFTS is based in its own historic film studio location and is only 20 minutes outside of central London by train. The School also offers special low cost train travel between London and Beaconsfield.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In order to remain eligible for Federal Aid you need to be making satisfactory academic progress by passing modules/progress reviews. If you fail to meet SAP you will become ineligible for US Federal Loans. For further information please see the SAP policy here.


Further Help and Advice

If you would like to speak with someone at the NFTS then please don’t hesitate to email

Be part of the story.

Be part of the story.

Find a course