Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do NFTS courses commence?
A: Our MA and most Diploma courses commence in January each year, however some Diplomas do start in September and our Certificate courses run throughout the year. This information is included on each course page of our website.

Q: What are the term dates?
A: What are the term dates?
A: The teaching year is 39 weeks, although term dates vary slightly each year. Students have non-curriculum breaks three times per year (length of each break is approximate):
Easter: two weeks
Summer: six weeks 
Christmas: two weeks

Q: What are the requirements for the Master courses?
A: The key thing we look for in applicants is a passion for the subject they are applying for and that they have some evidence of that passion. Applicants normally also have an undergraduate degree. Those that do not, will generally have 3-4 years of relevant (not necessarily direct) experience in the specialisation they are intending on applying to. 
Age requirement: You must be 21 years of age by the time your course is due to start.

Q: How do I apply for the National Film and Television School?
A: You can apply online via our website. Application forms are accessible via each of the course webpages for approximately four to six months before the submission deadline.

Q: Can I apply for more than one course?
A: Yes, you are welcome to apply for more than one course, however we advise no more than three. You must bear in mind that there is a £25 application fee for MA courses to be paid each time you apply.

Q: What about if I have a disability or Learning Difference?
A: Students are assessed as individuals according to their relevant skills, abilities and merits and all have equal access to learning opportunities within the School. We are actively seeking to redress imbalances within the Industry by encouraging dynamic people with appropriate talents and skills to apply, whatever their ethnic or national origin, age, gender, class, sexual orientation, disability, religious or political beliefs. If you would like more information about the support available at the School, please contact swellbeing@nfts.co.uk.

Q: How long will it take for me to hear whether my application has been successful?
A: It may take a number of weeks for an application to be processed, but we aim to deal with all applications and let you know the outcome as quickly as possible. In the meantime, if you are logged in to the website, and visit your dashboard, you will be able to see the current status of your application.

Q: What are the course fees?
A: Details of the fees, as well as additional costs, are available on the course pages. 

Q: I have not graduated from my University yet, what should I put in the Education Eighteen and over section?
A: If you have not yet completed your degree, please complete as much information as you can to include the course title and university you’re attending. Please mark the result as pending. If you are later offered a place, we will need to see original proof of your qualifications before Registration.

Q: Who can act as my referees?
A: You should provide one academic reference and one character reference. If you are not able to nominate an academic referee (i.e. you may not have been in education over the past few years), you are welcome to nominate somebody else who is familiar with your work (i.e. an employer). Your referees should send their references directly to Registry via the email address provided on the application form as signed pdf's.

Q: Can I visit the NFTS?
A: Please visit our Open Days page where you will find details about upcoming Open Days. A Virtual Tour is also available to watch at our Online Open Days.

Q: I’ve forgotten my online application password, what should I do?
A: Click on the 'Forgotten password' link on the 'Login' page, where a new password can be generated for you and sent to the email address associated with your account. All you have to do is enter your username or email.

Q: Am I able to amend my application once it’s been submitted?
A: You cannot make any changes to your application once it has been submitted. We ask that you check your application through thoroughly to make sure there are no mistakes before you submit. If you need to make changes to your telephone number, email address or living address, you can email Registry directly and ask for these changes to be made.

Q: How many students do you intake each year?
A: It depends on the course. The majority of our Master courses enrol 10 students annually, however some and the majority of our Diplomas take 12 – 16.

Q: Can I transfer from my current University?
A: We do not offer transfers, and we do not offer exemptions from any part of our courses based on study undertaken at another higher education provider.

In order to attend the NFTS, all applicants need to apply in the same manner as everyone else. This includes submitting an application and supporting material by the nominated deadline for the following intake.

Q: Can I transfer from one course to another once I have started at the NFTS?
A:The vast majority of our courses run at maximum capacity, and it is therefore not usually possible for students to transfer between them. Being highly specialised in nature, it is also important that students complete all parts of their course.  However, all requests to transfer course will be considered on an individual basis by the Registrar in conjunction with the Heads of Department concerned.

Q: Can I transfer out of the NFTS onto a course at another university?
A: If you wish to leave the NFTS and transfer to another course at a different higher education institution, you should discuss this with your Head of Department in the first instance. The School will issue you with a letter confirming the modules you have successfully undertaken, and issue you with any interim award you have achieved.

Q: Can I apply for an MA if I don’t have an undergraduate degree?
A: Yes, if you hold the equivalent experience (for example, if you have worked in a related professional role) and can submit the supporting material listed in the How to Apply section of the course webpage.

Q: Do I need a language certificate?
A: If you are an International applicant coming from a non-English speaking country, or an EU applicant without pre-settled or settled status, we do require a certificate confirming your competence in English. You must sit the IELTS for UKVI Academic English test and you must have obtained a minimum level of B2 and 6.5 in each category. You can check the requirements directly on the Government information webpage: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english

Q: Does the National Film and Television School provide accommodation for its students?
A: No, we do not currently offer our students halls of residency or accommodation, nor do we vet accommodation available locally; it is the responsibility of the student to find their own. The Registry department invite you to join an accommodation page to help assist students in finding a place. Students generally house and flat-share in Beaconsfield, High Wycombe and surrounding areas or London and we estimate maintenance costs (rent, travel, food etc.) to be in the region of £10,000 per year.

Q: Does the National Film and Television School offer Online or Distance Learning?
A: NFTS students and staff are have safely returned to the school site following the impact of Covid-19. During this time, online teaching and home delivery of essential resources ensured that all students were still receiving the best quality teaching and learning. 

From the success of the School’s quick transition into online learning and the effectiveness of this, the NFTS has now launched two blended learning courses where the teaching will primarily take place online - the NFTS Certificate in Filmmaking and the new Post Production Supervision Certificate in partnership with Netflix and HBO/WarnerMedia. The NFTS are always looking to broaden its offer and create more flexible ways of learning, so we also offer a range of online short courses.

We also offer two FREE introductory courses via Futurelearn.

Q: Will I be able to work part-time?
A: It depends on your work schedule. Some students do manage to work part-time locally; however, during busy production periods, evening and weekend attendance can be necessary, which makes working difficult.

Q: I don’t live in the UK. Will I need to come to the School for an interview?
A: If your application is successful, you will be invited for a formal interview at the NFTS with the selection panel and for some courses be required to sit a small practical test. It is generally preferred you attend in person, however, in certain circumstances, applicants from overseas and EU may be interviewed via Zoom.

Q: What tuition fee rate do I pay?
A: Tuition fees depend on nationality and residency. Currently, for UK/Irish citizens and UK passport holders, the tuition fees are "home" rate. For International and EU nationals without pre-settled or settled status, the tuition fees are "overseas" rate. EU nationals who have been granted settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme may be eligible for “home fees”, subject to meeting the residency requirements (you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for 3 years prior to the start of your course). You can find out the course tuition fees on each course webpage. 

Q: I need to apply for a Tier 4 student Visa, when should I apply?
A: It is not possible to apply for the visa more than three months before the course start date. Your visa will allow you to enter the UK one month before that date in order to give you time to sort out accommodation etc. Please refer to the website for more information: www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

Q: Am I eligible for financial aid?
A: We can only offer NFTS funding and scholarships to UK citizens (British passport holders) who have been resident in the UK for at least the last three years. Candidates are asked to provide evidence of their residency if invited to interview to determine their eligibility. Occasionally we do have some other Scholarships available to EU and International applicants depending on the course you are applying for. This information should be included on each course page. We also administer the US Federal Loan for American students which you can find out more about here.

Q: What support does the School offer its students?
A: Please see our Student Support page for more information.

Q: Does the National Film and Television School partner with the Erasmus Programme?
A: No, unfortunately this is not something we offer.

Q: Will I get a job immediately after graduating from the National Film and Television School?
A: We cannot guarantee employment. The School’s motto is ‘Our credits tell the story’ because we have a high success rate in graduates finding work on top film, TV and games directly after graduation.

Q: How can I be considered for casting on National Film and Television School projects?
A: The NFTS do require cast for productions throughout the year. The majority of cast however are obtained through casting agencies and professional bodies. All roles are likely to be filled by professional actors and the NFTS has an agreed rate of pay with equity.  If you are interested in roles in our student productions please contact your agent in the first instance.  CV’s and head shots sent directly to the school are not guaranteed to be looked at. However we may in some instances add your details to a database for future projects. All data you send to us will be stored in line with the schools privacy policy .

Q: How do I become a volunteer for National Film and Television School productions?
A: The NFTS do require volunteers throughout the year, in role such as production assistant (runners), drivers or within our art and camera departments. We advertise the majority of our volunteering opportunities on the ‘My First Job In Film’ website. If you would like to be contacted with opportunities please send a CV with an email explaining your desired volunteering role to volunteers@nfts.co.uk. Your details will then be added to a database and you may be contacted with future opportunities. All your information will be stored in line with the schools privacy policy.  

Q: I have a job opportunity I would like to offer your students and graduates, who should I contact?
A: Please fill in our student and graduate work request form (Word document) and return to the email address provided. Please note: we are unable to circulate unpaid positions or work opportunities to our graduates

For all other general enquiries or unanswered questions, please contact the relevant department. Visit our Contact Us page for details.

Be part of the story.

Be part of the story.

Find a course