Creative Business for Entrepreneurs and Executives
Duration 2 Years
Next intake January 2021
Application deadline 09 Jul 2020
Scholarships availableBegin your application
Would you like to start your own arts business? Our MA gives you all the tools to create the creative businesses of the future – whether in publishing, theatre, games, film, television, music or digital entertainment.
“This course gives young entrepreneurs in the creative industries the compass to navigate their way across those domains, with practical knowledge and practical guidance.” Richard Branson, course champion
It is taught by major players from across the creative industries - and comprises two days per week of tutor-led seminars; with reading, assignment work, and self-led research tasks to be conducted outside the classroom in the student’s own time. Our students not only learn from the best but have the chance to develop a network of contacts that can last a lifetime, as well as the opportunity to raise real seed funding for their second year project.
It is split between London and the NFTS campus, so students are able to benefit not only from London’s ‘global hub’ but also the School’s state-of-the-art facilities. We have strived to design the MA in order to allow students to combine it with professional work.
All NFTS students can attend the School’s masterclasses programme, with recent guests including David Fincher (se7en, Fight Club, The Social Network, Mindhunter), Steve McQueen (12 Years A Slave), Edgar Wright (Baby Driver, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead), Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid's Tale), Stephen Fry, Denis Villeneuve (Bladerunner 2049), Krysty Wilson Cairns (1917), Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag, Killing Eve), Asif Kapadia (Amy, Senna, Diego Maradona), and Louis Theroux.
Latest news: Screen Daily’s Orlando Parfitt, interviews course leader Chris Auty, on how this unique MA is equipping emerging film executives with the skills they will need to succeed in a rapidly changing screen industries. Read article here.
Recent credits and successes
What you will study
Over the course of the two years, participants looking to set up or build upon their own existing business will expect to:
- Learn the business and creative dynamics of each of the seven domains
- Gain all the personal and professional tools needed to set up and run their own business
- Leave with a fully worked-through business proposal or plan that has been taken to investors, partners and has been mentored by a dynamic business leader in the field
Participants already working within a business can expect to take back:
- A 360-degree view of the creative business sectors adjacent to their own existing specialisation
- Management, legal, accountancy and planning skills that are key to the development of any business and of their own careers
- A fully worked-through proposal for a new venture, a new division, or a new solution to an existing project or business plan proposal in need of development
Current or recent tutors
Chris AutyHead of Producing; Course Leader, Creative Business
Credits include Stealing Beauty, Blood and Wine, Crash
Alex ConnockSenior Tutor, Creative Business MA Course
Alex is a digital content entrepreneur and MD, Missile Digital Studios.
Applicants must demonstrate entrepreneurship, OR existing involvement in the development of an existing business. This experience could be:
- Building a company
- Raising finance for a project
- Developing or implementing a new venture within a company
- Planning a new business or business venture
- Investing in an entrepreneurial activity
- Working for a media company that encourages entrepreneurship
- Working as a professional advisor (lawyer, accountant, agent) in the creative industries
While many applicants will have a degree from a British or overseas university, we will consider applicants who do not have a degree if they have an impressive portfolio, a creative track record or an alternative qualification.
For international students, more information about our entry requirements, including Visa and English language requirements, can be found here.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Application deadline: 09 Jul 2020
Applicants must complete the online application form and submit the following supporting materials:
- Please submit one or more examples of material that demonstrates your entrepreneurial engagement. This could be: a commercial funding application, a business plan for a new project or business, a detailed description of a business challenge that you have taken on, or a full description of your role working with someone else setting up, financing or building a project or company.
- If your background has been as an investor or professional advisor, please submit an overview of your investment or advisory role, and at what level.
You can apply online by clicking on BEGIN YOUR APPLICATION below.
We are happy to receive applications at any time up until the midnight of the application deadline date.Begin your application