For other NFTS masters courses
- The only Television MA course of its kind in the world.
- Direct and produce entertainment programmes in our professional standard television studio.
- Be taught by top industry professionals.
- Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School.
- Placements with the BBC, ITV and leading entertainment production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and talkbackTHAMES.
- Take a fast track into the Industry.
We welcome EU/EEA Students. Those accepted onto courses starting in 2017 will have their fees guaranteed at the UK rate for both years of the course.
Entertainment shows are at the centre of UK and global television schedules. Our students and graduates are already having an impact on the highest revenue generating part of television.
On this Television MA course, students learn to develop, script, produce and direct single camera and multi-camera programmes across all entertainment genres, using the School's own television studio or out on location. Students experience the programme cycle from the brainstorming of an idea right through to transmission. The structure of the course follows the chronological steps of an entertainment television production. Injected into this, timeline will be specifically tailored modules taught by top television professionals. Students also get the chance to pitch their entertainment ideas to broadcasters like SKY and the BBC. There is a huge amount of detail to fit in to two years so it is very hard work but - it is entertainment - so it should be fun!
Students graduate with:
- the skills to direct TV studio multi-camera and single camera productions
- the know-how to produce entire entertainment shows
- a practical working knowledge of current television production methods
- the ability to generate entertainment programme ideas and formats
- the confidence and know-how to pitch those ideas to commissioning editors
- brilliant Industry contacts
Our intensely practical and pioneering Television MA course aims to train the entertainment directors and producers of tomorrow. Students are taught by NFTS staff and visiting Industry professionals and have hands-on experience of a variety of production roles. Other crucial areas covered include how to pitch original programme ideas to broadcasters and how to set up an independent production company. Students also undertake a week-long module on business and legal affairs supervised by top Industry lawyers Lee & Thompson. Placements with leading production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and Maverick or broadcasters like the BBC are an integral part of the course. By the time students graduate they have the craft, skill and confidence to produce and direct both in the studio and on location. They also have a thorough understanding of the television production process encompassing everything from the creative to the technical and the business aspects.
Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School. In addition you will be given a cash Production Budget. NFTS students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
TV Entertainment Promo
The course is led by David G Croft (Shooting Stars, Baddiel's Syndrome, Live Aid, Top of The Pops & Crystal Maze). Other tutors who often teach at the school include Richard Boden (Blackadder Goes Forth, The IT Crowd), Geoff Posner (Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Concert, Dinner Ladies, Little Britain), Michael Grade - Lew Grade Chair in Television Production, Richard Greenwood (ITV Entertainment Executive), Amanda Murphy (Executive Producer: Supernanny), Ian Russell (Multi-Camera Director: Royal Wedding, London Olympics), Graham Stuart (Executive Producer: Graham Norton).
If you are lively and imaginative, then this is the course for you! Applicants must be able to demonstrate their passion, commitment and talent for developing a career in Entertainment TV.
Please complete the online application form. No materials or referees will be required for your application at this stage. We will contact you for further information should you be called for interview.
How to Apply
Last few places remaining! Please contact registry via email stating your name, course of interest and contact details to be considered for one of the last remaining places on this course:
- 2 Year Course
- Course runs Jan-Dec each year
- Next intake: January 2017
- NFTS Scholarships available for UK Students