Visually Expressive Directing
Duration 2 Days
Commitment 10:00 - 17:30
Course dates 30 Sep 2021 - 01 Oct 2021
The emphasis on this course is on visually expressive directing which will be analysed and discussed with the aim to sharpen directors’ ability to make visual choices from a screenplay and fine tune their shot progression choices.
This course will leave participants with a strong grasp on how camera movement and the juxtaposition of images affects the way a viewer feels.
The course will include, amongst other things:
- An in depth exploration of a director’s visual obligations based on the source material, and how to identify and interpret key dramatic turning points.
- A deep shot-by-shot analysis of visually expressive directors such as Scorsese, Kubrick, Lynne Ramsay, Hitchcock etc.
- Analysis of screenplays and how they were visually translated to film.
- Constructive criticism and group discussion of participants’ own short films or directing exercises in terms of shot choices.
- Analysis of different common visual techniques across the genres of comedy, drama, thrillers and horror.
Freelance Rate: £395
Corporate Rate: £795