Visually Expressive Directing
Duration 2 Days
Commitment 10:00 - 17:30
Course dates 30 Sep 2021 - 01 Oct 2021Begin your application
The emphasis on this course is on visually expressive directing which will be analysed and discussed with the aim to sharpen directors’ ability to make visual choices from a screenplay and fine tune their shot progression choices.
This course will leave participants with a strong grasp on how camera movement and the juxtaposition of images affects the way a viewer feels.
The course will include, amongst other things:
- An in depth exploration of a director’s visual obligations based on the source material, and how to identify and interpret key dramatic turning points.
- A deep shot-by-shot analysis of visually expressive directors such as Scorsese, Kubrick, Lynne Ramsay, Hitchcock etc.
- Analysis of screenplays and how they were visually translated to film.
- Constructive criticism and group discussion of participants’ own short films or directing exercises in terms of shot choices.
- Analysis of different common visual techniques across the genres of comedy, drama, thrillers and horror.
Freelance Rate: £395
Corporate Rate: £795