Script editing is an often misunderstood profession, viewed as anything from correcting punctuation to dictating brutal rewrites. In reality, the relationship between script editor and writer is key in elevating stories and ensuring that the best possible ideas are rigorously tested and developed before anyone walks onto set. This short course will equip participants with a toolkit to analyse stories, learn lessons from the very best in film and TV and practice creating and delivering effective notes. Day one will focus on the analysis of existing produced content, exploring the mechanics behind strong storytelling, while day two will see participants put this knowledge into practice by working on unproduced scripts.
1. To be confident talking about films and TV series that impress you and be able to articulate why they are so good.
2. To increase awareness and understanding of how stories work and how they successfully engage audiences.
3. To analyse and break down a script, identifying areas which work well and which could be improved.
4. To explore strategies for working with writers and the difference between good and bad notes.
5. To create and deliver a set of headline notes designed to motivate and enthuse a writer as they go about redrafting their script.
About the Tutor:
Jackie Thornton is a freelance development script editor and consultant whose clients include See-Saw Films, Sister, South of the River, Tiger Aspect and Netflix UK. Passionate about discovering and nurturing new and distinctive writing voices, she's been involved with Supacell, a sci-fi superhero drama series by Rapman, due for release on Netflix in 2023, been developing a Film4 backed historical feature, supporting new teams of writer/director/producers as they develop original agile TV pilots under Screen Yorkshire's
Flex initiative and most recently script editing a drama/thriller feature scheduled to shoot in the spring.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, however it is expected that you have a good standard of written English and a passion for writing and film & TV scripts.
Please complete the application form.