BiteSized@NFTS: Narrative Directing Analysis:- ONLINE
Duration 2 Hours
Commitment TBC dates upon application
Begin your application
OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS
No deposit required!
Over a two-hour session we will cover an in depth analysis of how narrative feature films visually set up a story across its first act.
This will include:
- How characters are introduced, how their depiction and access to them informs their importance and role in the story
- How themes are introduced, real vs mythical, dominant vs underdog values etc.
- How locations are introduced and reintroduced to reflect changing dynamics and escalation
- The role of subjectivity and perspective, omniscient camera vs solipsistic
- How tension and conflict is visually introduced through staging and framing
- How objects, setting and appearance inform and define characters
- The way camera shots and movement raise dramatic questions visually and highlight key turning points in the narrative structure.
This online session is delivered by Toby Fell-Holden a British writer-director based between New York and London. He has taught filmmaking and masterclasses at Columbia, NYU, MetFilm, Queen Marys University, and he is a visiting fellow at Arts Uni Bournemouth. He is a Screen International Star of Tomorrow for 2016 and a Film London Lodestar of 2020, and has been awarded fellowships from the Moving Picture Institute and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Freelance Rate: £50
Corporate Rate: £100
Feedback from other online training we have provided include:
“I probably felt more comfortable doing this course over Zoom than I would have standing up in person reciting the same stories.”
“This course was delivered remotely and I was surprised at how well it worked. I felt at ease being at home and lost no focus. I felt that I was actually more honest about my faults and it gave a more informal feel”
“A really great inspiring course with a very likeable course leader”
“Tutor had a very good structure and was passionate about their subject. I felt engaged and informed throughout.”
“The practice sessions were my favourite part. We got to think on our feet and really put the teachings to the test. The tasks set were easy to follow but hard enough that you really had to think to complete them”
How to apply
PLEASE SUMIT AN APPLICATION TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
No deposit required
Once we have received sufficient numbers we will contact everyone with potential datesBegin your application