Duration 15 days
Course dates Register your interest
Application deadline Register your interest
Bursaries supported by the Scottish Government are available for those who are eligible
Supported by the ScreenSkills Film Skills Fund with contributions from UK film productions, this course takes you on a journey through the art and craft of editing.
Covering the principles, practices and techniques involved in the editing of film and television drama productions, this three-week course consists of the theory of editing drama, setting up the cutting room, and starting a project, before providing you with the opportunity to hone your own practical skills under expert supervision.
Participants will be given the opportunity to edit scenes from well-known broadcast television dramas and also films made by NFTS students in Beaconsfield.
The lead course tutor is BAFTA -winning film editor Richard Cox ACE, who is also Head of Editing at the NFTS, and has worked with RTS and BAFTA –winning writer/director, Sally Wainwright on productions including Gentleman Jack, Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax. Additional practicing editors will also tutor over the three-week course.
This practical course covers:
- An overview of TV drama and editing for TV, including the history, differences from factual editing, platforms used and relationships with other departments
- Working with an Edit Assistant
- Assembling both simple and complex scenes in Avid including the paperwork used
- Working with the director
- Fine cutting
- Working with the composer
- Temp tracks and setting the tone of a scene
- The journey from first assembly cut to picture lock
- Working with producers and executive producers
- Reworking scenes
- Cutting ‘next time’ trailers and ‘previously’ trailers
- Practical editing work at Blazing Griffin completing edits based on your learning in the course
This course requires a working knowledge of Avid Media Composer.
How to apply
Application deadline: Register your interest
This course is not currently open for applications. Please register your interest to be informed of future dates.