Very few people outside the film and TV industry understand the critical role of the Assistant Directing department in delivering a successful production on time and on budget. Working closely with the top creative talent, being an Assistant Director is one of the great undiscovered and rewarding careers of the industry.
This intensive course is a suitable introduction to the AD Department for everyone, even those with no on-set / production experience.
It will equip you with the knowledge and skills to help you pursue a successful future career in the Assistant Directors department. The course will be taught by industry 1st AD and NFTS AD Course Leader, Richard Lingard. Richard is also Chair of the Assistant Directors' Guild UK.
This 2-day course will be delivered in person, combining classroom learning and practical exercises.
The course will cover:
- An overview of the current UK Film and HETV industry.
- The roles and responsibilities of each member of the AD's department in pre-production and during the shoot
- Where the department fits in with production and how to work collaboratively with other departments
- Paperwork used by the production, including department-specific documents
- Set protocol, etiquette and communication skills
- How to use and break down a script
- How to produce a shooting schedule
- The skills required to be a capable and successful Assistant Director
- Health & Safety from the 1st Assistant Director’s perspective and COVID-19 protocols
This course is for anyone wishing to pursue a career in the Assistant Director’s department.
Please fill in the application form.