NFTS Certificate in Filmmaking
Duration 6 Months
Next intake October 2021
Application deadline 24 Jun 2021Begin your application
Whether you want to be a writer, director, cinematographer, VFX artist or sound recordist this course is for you. In just six months, you will graduate with an insight into practical filmmaking from one of the top film schools in the world with a much more developed and well-rounded understanding of the industry and how films are made which will help set you up for a long and successful career in the industry.
The key aspects of the course are:
- Over the course of the 48 classes you will focus on Screenwriting & Script Reading, Who Does What on set, Producing, Directing, Production Design, Cinematography, Production protocols and paperwork, Sound Recording, Editing, The Soundtrack, Visual Effects and Distribution & Exhibition.
- The course is taught by senior tutors from across the NFTS giving you unparalleled access to some of the best film teachers in the world.
- Come to the NFTS for two intensive weekends of practical workshops with leading film and television makers.
- Access to the NFTS intranet and resources and online masterclasses. Recent online masterclass guests include David Fincher (Seven, Mindhunter), Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave, Widows) and Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood, Can you Ever Forgive Me?).
- Get advice from senior NFTS staff on now best to move forward with your career, present your CV, pursue your specialism or apply to the NFTS to do the MA.
- If you complete this course and then successfully secure a place on an NFTS Diploma or MA, we will refund you half the certificate course fee on taking up your Diploma or MA place at the School.
You may be a recent BA graduate wishing to further their knowledge with access to NFTS industry specialists. Perhaps you’re an up and coming filmmaker focussed on your area of specialism but wish to know more about other departments involved in the filmmaking process. It could be you need to have an overview of the filmmaking process before applying to one of our specialist Diplomas or MAs.
This mainly on-line course, meeting via Zoom once every Tuesday evening and Saturday morning, aims to help participants develop and discover their own strengths and areas of interest by drawing on industry professionals to discuss their work and their specialisms.
The course runs for 24 weeks with two online sessions per week, and two practical workshop weekends at the NFTS.
Course Leader Shakil Mohammed is an NFTS graduate who has written and directed a number of award winning short films.
Shakil will be joined by key tutors from across the NFTS in teaching the course and many of our industry friends and supporters will contribute to the course. NFTS tutors who will deliver taught sessions on the programme include Senior Tutor Myf Hopkins (Producer; The Last Tree) and Head of Editing Richard Cox ACE (Editor, Gentleman Jack).
Regular guest tutors at the School who have contributed taught sessions in the last 12 months include Sam Mendes (Director; No Time to Die), Walter Murch (Editor; The Talented Mr Ripley, The English Patient), Sarah Golding (Script Editor; Lady Macbeth), Nicholas Chaudeurge (Editor; Top Boy, Calm With Horses), Clio Barnard (Director; Dark River), Kim Longinotto (Director; Shooting the Mafia, Dreamcatcher).
What you will study
What does it mean to be able to read a script properly? What is a LUT and how do you set up a colour workflow? What does a sales agent do?
We’re excited to announce this new six month part time certificate, our first generalist filmmaking course; that will answer all these questions and more.
Over the course of the 48 classes you will focus on Screenwriting & Script Reading, Who Does What on set, Producing, Directing, Production Design, Cinematography, Production protocols and paperwork, Sound Recording, Editing, The Soundtrack, Visual Effects and Distribution & Exhibition.
While attending the sessions you will be required to develop a film “package” ready to be cross-examined by a panel of industry professional half way through your course and then re work it to be discussed again, at the end of your course. This package will include, a Screenplay, Pitch document, Budget, Schedule, Call Sheets, Movement Orders, Mood Boards, Director's Statement and other materials.
The two weekend sessions will give you the chance to be involved in a number of hands on practical workshops held at the NFTS studios in Beaconsfield and using our state of the art equipment.
The part time nature of the course will enable you to keep working while competing your studies. If after completing the course you wish to apply to one of our Diplomas or MA courses we will waive your application fee. If successful and you take up your place at the School we will refund you half the certificate course fee. All students on the NFTS Certificate in Filmmaking will have access to NFTS Masterclasses, Screenings and online resources. Opportunities will be available to undertake work experience on NFTS Grad films.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about filmmaking and eager to explore possible avenues. You should have a good general education, but no other specific educational requirements. Application to the course is competitive.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
How to apply
Application deadline:24 Jun 2021
In addition to completing the online application form, applicants must submit the following:
- Any relevant experience you may already have, if any, in theatre/film/TV.
- Summarise a story idea that you want to make. (300 words max.)
Applications are now open. You can apply online by clicking on BEGIN YOUR APPLICATION below. We are happy to receive applications at any time up until the midnight of the application deadline date.Begin your application