Have you always wanted to make your own documentary but never had the chance, or the confidence to do it alone?
The NFTS - the world's most prestigious training ground for documentary filmmaking - offers a summer school where the expertise of professional mentors will help you begin to become the documentary maker you want to be.
The ten weeks includes an introductory induction course and a fortnight of independent research
Introduction: 2 days in June 2018 (tbc).
Independent research: 2-13 July 2018. This can be done in your own time, from home.
Main course: 16-27 July 2018.
Shoot film: 30 July-10 August 2018.
Edit film: 13-30 August 2018.
Final screenings take place in the NFTS Cinema on Friday 31st August followed by an informal reception
- During the introduction your proposed projects will be evaluated and plans made.
- You will then engage in independent research in the subsequent weeks prior to the main course.
The first two weeks of the main course cover:
- documentary storytelling, including masterclasses with some of the country's leading practitioners in the art of creative documentary
- viewing of classic and difficult-to-obtain documentaries
- guidance in the basics of shooting on location, clearances and legal and ethical issues
- technical training in camera, sound and editing techniques
- individual tutorials with award-winning filmmakers to help you develop and shape your ideas
During the next two weeks you will complete research and shoot your film, with advice from award-winning filmmakers, including a review of your rushes. The NFTS provides Panasonic 151 HD cameras, sound equipment and recording cards - although students may use their own if appropriate.
In the final three weeks, you will learn how to use Avid and will cut your film under the supervision of experienced editing and directing tutors. Your goal: a high quality short HD film (approx. 15 mins long) which you can be proud of and use, if you wish, for all non-commercial purposes, including international festivals.
Course cost: £3,025
Selection is on the basis of the quality and originality of the idea for the film you submit, and the practicality of making the film within the time available.
A one-page proposal for the film you want to make.